Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Leave it to Beaver



As most of us know, Leave it to Beaver was a situation comedy which aired on regular network TV from 1957 to 1963, which would be roughly six years duration. For a show to last that long on the networks would indicate some measure of success I would say. Lately, we've been watching the series on Antenna TV, a digital TV network (whatever that means) and may I say, thoroughly enjoying it. The thought occurred to me last night that in the day we now find ourselves, I doubt if this show would make it for a month, let alone six years. 

There aren't many spiritual implications in the show's lessons, even though in a recent episode they were all making ready to go to church together. But what a delight to see a father who leads his family, a wife who's really into her husband and kids, parents who are committed to each other and their children (with even a few realistic disagreements thrown in) and young people who refer to their parents and other adults by the terms "sir" and "maam." Seeing Beaver and his classmates responding to their teacher with "Yes, Miss Landers" is music to the ears. I like it that the boys often make wrong choices, and that the consequences for those poor choices come through loud and clear. As put by Wikipedia: "The adult viewer enjoys Beaver's adventures while discovering tips for teaching children correct behavior and methods for successfully handling common childhood problems." So true that is and that is what I like so much about the series.

Although Leave it to Beaver would undoubtedly be considered a fail in today's society, for me, my late evening encounters with the Cleaver family have been a breath of fresh air. I wish you and your family might have opportunity to watch it too, and that your children would find it enjoyable. I think parents would appreciate the many little lessons from the every day family experiences that are there.

Maxine, a/k/a Nanna

No comments:

Post a Comment